The Northern Goshawk is a large and aggressive forest raptor, occupying mature forests of the northern United States. It is a species of special concern in both Pennsylvania and New York.
- Habitat Assessments: Wildlife Specialist's biologists are able to identify nesting habitat areas and nests that could support Northern Goshawks. Northern Goshawk nests are usually associated with large tracts of mature forest composed primarily of large trees.
- Dawn Acoustical Surveys: This method is based on detection of courtship vocalizations and flight displays of Northern Goshawks as they establish territories and choose nest sites. Conducted during the early breeding season and at dawn, Wildlife Specialist's biologists identify the sounds and courtship displays of Northern Goshawks and locate currently used nests.
- Broadcast Acoustical Surveys: Wildlife Specialist's biologist employ this method based on broadcast of taped goshawk calls to elicit defensive responses by nesting goshawks during nestling and fledgling-dependency period.
- Intensive Searches: Once Northern Goshawk habitat is located or it is known to occur in an area from historic records, our experienced staff will systematically search the area for nests and other signs and determine the activity and locations of all nests within the search area. Primarily used outside the peak breeding period to delineate avoidance areas.
- Comprehensive Reporting: Wildlife Specialist's reports contain all necessary information required by the regulatory agencies to evaluate a project. Specifically, we provide detailed habitat descriptions, high quality maps, photographs, and all required data collected at each site.